I have so many variations of this fantastic image in black and white. When I say fantastic image I am not trying to big myself up by the way – all I do is point my camera at fantastic things!
But this is it. The last one. I will give this five stars. And stack all the other images below.
This is one of the problems with editing photos – you can end up with lots of versions of the same thing.
It helps to be organised. And brutal with the culling. Do you need all the variations of the one image?
So this is what I do.
- Star rate so I know which is my final edit.
- Delete duplicate images. All of them. You won't go back to them ever trust me. I never have.
- Stack the images that were used to end up with the final result.
So I should have 6 files.
- 3 are the original capture. The bracketed set.
- 1 is the final edit. A DNG file.
- 1 is the TIFF version of the DNG which has had further work done in Photoshop.
- And finally the black and white TIFF.
For this image I actually went into Lightroom and cleaned up all the other images. Leaving the six images in one stack. To be honest I don't like deleting images, but my hard drive is just going to fill up too quickly so I know it is good in many ways.
Keep what you want to keep. Get rid of the rest.
I do this, and these days I am quite brutal with deleting images, and do you know what?
I have never (up to now that is!!!) gone back to find an image to find that the one I wanted I had deleted. So be bold and get on top of your file management.
Back to this black and white image though, this is what I did in Nik Silver Efex.
- I instantly like the Full Spectrum Inverse preset.
- I boosted the highlights brightness by 92%, and the mid tones by 31%.
- Then I applied a red filter. I knew what it would do.
And that is that. A striking black and white image produced in no time (OK the colour version took quite a while to produce). Talking of which here it is.
And this is why I love being an architectural photographer.
To find out more about Duomo head to https://www.visitflorence.com/florence-churches/duomo.html
Rick McEvoy Photography Blog
Sunday 25th September 2016