It went OK.
What went well?
I got rid of just short of 800 images.
I found some stuff that I had almost forgotten about but really liked.
I edited some old images which was great.
The blog post called “How to organise your photos in Lightroom” was the beginning of the process.
But I never really finished off the job. I have not really go on top of my Lightroom Catalogue.
I got side-tracked when I found something new to edit.
What did I not do?
- Delete as much as I wanted to.
So quite a lot still to do really. The problem is as tasks go this is quite boring.
This is what I am going to do.
Schedule the work. Assign myself the following tasks.
I cull by using the flags Pick or Reject. The keyboard shortcuts are P for pick and X for reject. Once rejected the images are deleted.
My rating system is as follows
- 0 stars – unrated - to sort
- 1 star – no edit required
- 2 stars – to edit
- 3 stars – edited - mobile
- 4 stars – edited
- 5 stars – edited best.
I am going to plan this into my work and see how it goes. Starting (again with those 2501 images in my Lightroom Catalogue).
I have assigned 1 day per task, this week. This is of course as well as everything else I must do but I really do need to get on with this.
And to manage the more significance ongoing problem I am going to start doing this every time I have imported new images. And I just did this and guess what - in 10 minutes it was done, and I had got that days pictures down from 200 to 30 to edit!
Yes, I am going to do this every time.
And that is it. I use picks to sort things when I am working on them, but they get removed.
So, this is the start of my brave new disciplined world of managing my Lightroom Catalogue.
I have scheduled an update on my photography blog for 4 weeks time, in late March. I find that this helps me to as it puts pressure on me. A bit like having a deadline for a report to your boss. Or in my case me and the world-wide web!
Lost in Lightroom!
Monday 20th February 2017